What are you reading?

Talk about everything non-movie related

What are you reading?

Postby Yama on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:23 am

I only work about four hours a week (yet have to be there a lot longer) so I read a lot and am always looking for new recommendations if any of you have them. So far ones that have really stuck in my head are (deep breath):

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller: Like Monty Python in book form.
Naked Lunch by William Burroughs: Psychotic and imaginative. Kind of like a nightmare.
Pulp, Post Office and Ham on Rye by Charles Buckowski: Great slacker.
Asia Shock by Patrick Galloway: Informed and informative recommendations of Asian 'dark' cinema. Very interesting even for the films you have seen.

Plus a lot of graphic novels, the best being;

Batman: Year One - Epic and quite clearly the inspiration for the first Bale movie
Dark night Strikes Again: Great. Just great.
The Swamp Thing (the Alan Moore ones): Surprisingly horrific and well thought out rejuvenation of the Swamp Thing character.

Zat is all.
As my father sometimes says on my answer phone, 'End Of Message'.
What doesn't kill you just really, really hurts you
Yama
Chicken-noodle Palm
Chicken-noodle Palm

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Stoo on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm

I work as a full time Librarian and I usually read on breaks. So at the moment I'm currently reading;

The Lair - James Herbert (2nd part of "The Rats" books, very messy, skini crawling stuff, f*ck knows why I'm reading them)

Yes Man - Danny Wallace (Non-Fiction, about a bloke who becomes enlightened one day and from then on says Yes to any question he's given, now been made into a movie with Jim Carrey)

I'm also about to start listening to "1st to Die" by James Patterson.
Podcast On Fire - It's Asian Cinema in a Podcast!
Stoo
Bronson Lee
Bronson Lee

Postby TheBaron on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 pm

I only read comics and GNs. At the moment I'm reading Daredevil: The Devil Inside and Out. So far, so good.
TheBaron
King Of Kung Fu
King Of Kung Fu

Postby martin on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:23 pm

I'm reading Oddest Jobs which is the latest Hellboy short story collection and its really good stuff. I've just read Kevin Smiths My Boring Ass Life which is a collection of his blog over a year and is overlong and patchy but has some really funny moments. Next up I'll be digging into The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein (who wrote No Logo), I started reading it a few months ago but its a little depressing...

Yes Man - Danny Wallace (Non-Fiction, about a bloke who becomes enlightened one day and from then on says Yes to any question he's given, now been made into a movie with Jim Carrey)

That's a great book - have you read Join Me? It's a pity the Jim Carey film looks totally different from the book. The fact that the book is (supposed to be) true you would think they would stick to it, now it looks like a new riff on 'Liar Liar'. Well, sort of.

I only read comics and GNs. At the moment I'm reading Daredevil: The Devil Inside and Out. So far, so good.

What else have you liked recently? Is it all DC and Marvel?
martin
Betty Ting Pei
Betty Ting Pei

Postby Yama on Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:35 am

I heard the new Daredevil stuff is actually pretty awesome. I was never a fan of it to be honest but the same guy started writing some epic, and I mean epic, Thor stories, so I may have to check it out.
What doesn't kill you just really, really hurts you
Yama
Chicken-noodle Palm
Chicken-noodle Palm

Postby Stoo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:13 am

martin wrote:

That's a great book - have you read Join Me? It's a pity the Jim Carey film looks totally different from the book. The fact that the book is (supposed to be) true you would think they would stick to it, now it looks like a new riff on 'Liar Liar'. Well, sort of.

I didnt think the film looked too bad, a step up from Fun with Dick & Jane. I havent read Join Me, is it by Wallace? there is a couple of his books about, I guess this is him making his bread and butter now.

I've got about a half a dozen books waiting to be read, I forgot to mention I'm a few chapters into Towelhead - Alicia Erian, explict stuff :|
Stoo
Bronson Lee
Bronson Lee

Postby Drunken Master on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 am

Daredevil has always been one of my favourite reads. If only they had got it right when the film was made. :(

Currently reading Stephen King's "Cell" along with "1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die". I can't say I agree with some of the choices, but it is a good reference book for information if nothing else. ;)
"My style? You could call it the art of fighting without fighting" (") {-.-} (")

** My films to watch currently stands at 125**Keeps going up!!!!!! Too many films. Not enough time.
Drunken Master
Bile Of The Tiger
Bile Of The Tiger

Postby Stoo on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:32 am

Drunken Master wrote:"1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die". I can't say I agree with some of the choices, but it is a good reference book for information if nothing else. ;)

I borrowed that book too, too much reccomendations!
Podcast On Fire - It's Asian Cinema in a Podcast!
Stoo
Bronson Lee
Bronson Lee

Postby Drunken Master on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:37 am

Surprises me how many of them I've seen. :shock:

Could this mean my time is up?
"My style? You could call it the art of fighting without fighting" (") {-.-} (")

** My films to watch currently stands at 125**Keeps going up!!!!!! Too many films. Not enough time.
Drunken Master
Bile Of The Tiger
Bile Of The Tiger

Postby Jubilee on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:46 am

西遊記 (Way To The West)

By Wu Cheng'en.

It's incredible how many times i've seen versions of this story on the screen, yet the book always confuses the hell out of me. I've had this copy since I was young and it's written in a manor that's not easy to read at all. Imagine Shakespear-vs-today's way of writing.

Still, i'm going to make the effort this time to get all the way through.
Jubilee
Cutey Honey
Cutey Honey

Next

Return to Off-Side Chat