Eureka Entertainment are bringing the 1978 Japanese historical martial arts period movie ‘The Fall of Ako Castle’ (赤穂城断絶) to UK Blu-ray on December 4, 2023.
Directed by Kinji Fukasaku, the film tells the tale of the Asano clan’s downfall and the revenge of its former samurai on the perpetrator of the catastrophe. The cast includes Yorozuya Kinnosuke, Sonny Chiba, Tsunehiko Watase, Masaomi Kondo, Toshiro Mifune, and Kyoko Enami.
Synopsis: When an injustice costs his master his life and estate, loyal retainer Ōishi (Kinnosuke Yorozuya) vows revenge. Because the target of his vengeance is protected by the ruling shogunate, any retaliation would be seen as an act of treason. Ōishi assembles the remaining ranks of the now-masterless samurai and the 47 of them pledge a blood oath to avenge their slain lord. Tensions rise among the ranks of the ronin eager to launch the mission, as Ōishi bides his time awaiting the right time to strike. Enemy spies and assassins track Ōishi, who has seemingly fallen into vice: Has he lost his sense of honour, or is it just a part of his plan?
• Presented in 1080p HD from a restoration of the original film elements by Toei
• Uncompressed original Japanese Mono audio
• Optional English subtitles
• New audio commentary by Tom Mes
• New interview with Tony Rayns
• New video essay by Jasper Sharp
• Limited Edition O-Card slipcase with artwork by Chris Malbon [2000 copies]
• Reversible sleeve featuring original poster artwork
• A collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Jonathan Clements
‘The Fall of Ako Castle’ is available to pre-order now from Amazon.co.uk.