Arrow Video are bringing the Japanese crime anthology film ‘Yakuza Law’ (やくざ刑罰史 私刑!) to UK Blu-ray on May 13, 2019.
Directed by Teruo Ishii, the film tells a series of yakuza lynching stories that span the Edo, Taisho, and Showa periods. The cast includes Bunta Sugawara, Minoru Oki, Teruo Yoshida, Ryutaro Otomo, and Hiroshi Miyauchi.
Synopsis: In this deep dive into the world of the Yakuza, meet the violent men who rule the Japanese underworld and the cruel punishments inflicted on those who transgress them. The carnage begins in the Edo Period with a violent tale of samurai vengeance starring Bunta Sugawara, before shifting to the Meiji Period as the exiled Ogata (Minoru Oki) returns to face punishment for his past transgressions… and, ultimately, to take his revenge. Finally, the action is brought right up to date with a tale of gang warfare set in then-present-day 60s Japan and headlined by Teruo Yoshida, as a powerful crime syndicate seeks bloody vengeance for the theft of one hundred thousand yen.
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless mono Japanese soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles
• New audio commentary by author and critic Jasper Sharp
• Erotic-Grotesque and Genre Hopping: Teruo Ishii Speaks, a rare vintage interview with the elusive director on his varied career, newly edited for this release
• Image gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jacob Phillips
• FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collector s booklet featuring new writing on the film by Tom Mes
‘Yakuza Law’ is available for pre-order now from Amazon.co.uk.