Film Movement Classics are bringing a collection of director Takeshi Kitano‘s early work, entitled the ‘TKO Collection’, to US Blu-ray and DVD on November 20, 2018.
The box set is made up of three of Kitano’s most acclaimed films – ‘Violent Cop’, ‘Boiling Point‘, and ‘Hana-bi’ (aka ‘Fireworks’).
Facing criminal charges for his unorthodox Dirty Harry type methods, Detective Azuma (Takeshi Kitano) finds himself caught in a web of betrayal and intrigue that sends him on a bloody trail of vengeance. But when his sister is kidnapped by a sadistic drug lord, Azuma’s tactics escalate towards an apocalyptic climax.
Ono Masahiko (Yurei Yanagi) is an unlucky gas station attendant who belongs to a losing junior baseball team. When the local yakuza threaten and capture his coach, he and a friend get more than they bargained for when they travel to Okinawa seeking revenge.
Former police officer Nishi (Takeshi Kitano) feels responsible for the shattered lives of his loved ones. His partner Horibe (Ren Osugi) has been crippled in a disastrous stakeout, a colleague is shot dead by the same villain, and his own wife (Kayoko Kishimoto) has a terminal illness. In debt to a yakuza loanshark, Nishi conceives a bank robbery to provide for his partner, help the dead cop’s widow, and take one last holiday throughout Japan with his wife and share a final taste of happiness.
• Violent Cop 20-minute featurette
• That Man Is Dangerous: The Birth of Takeshi Kitano
• Original Violent Cop trailer
• New Violent Cop HD re-release trailer
• Boiling Point 20-minute featurette
• Okinawa Days: Takeshi’s Second Debut
• Original Boiling Point trailer
• Hana-Bi Commentary by film writer for Rolling Stone magazine, David Fear
• Hana-Bi Making-of featurette
The ‘TKO Collection’ is available for pre-order now from Amazon.com.